Promoting your business by email, SMS, MMS or instant message?
May 16, 2016
Here’s how to make sure your messages keep reaching your customers...
We know that marketing is a great way to grow your business. With technology like smartphones and email, there are now more ways than ever to reach your customers.
Marketing through electronic commercial messages
A commercial electronic message is any message that comes in an electronic form, (such as email, SMS, MMS or instant message), that offers, advertises or promotes a business, good or service.
This can include:
1. a regular email newsletter for your business
2. texting your customers to promote a sale
3. sending a digital coupon to your loyal customers for a discount.
Rules when sending electronic commercial messages
There are rules when sending electronic commercial messages to your customers. Before sending your messages, you must make sure that:
1. you have permission from your customers to send them commercial electronic messages
2. you include a way for your customers to unsubscribe or opt-out.
If you don't follow these principles, you'll be in breach of the Spam Act 2003, and your customers can report you to the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).
Also, if your customers haven’t given you permission to send messages to their emails, they are more likely to mark your emails as spam. If lots of people mark your emails as spam, email systems can block your emails and they won’t reach your customers.