Super information for temporary residents departing Australia

Super information for temporary residents departing Australia

About departing Australia superannuation payment

If you are a temporary resident working in Australia, your employer has to makesuper guarantee contributions for you if you're eligible.

You can claim super benefits you accumulated while working in Australia if all of the following apply:

  1. you visited on a temporary visa (excluding visa subclasses 405 and 410)

  2. your visa has ceased to be in effect

  3. you have left Australia.

  4. Your claim is generally for a 'departing Australia superannuation payment' (DASP).

Your super fund will be requested to transfer your super money to us if you haven't claimed it from the fund after a minimum period of six months since you left Australia and your visa ceased to be in effect. We will hold your unclaimed super for you until you claim it.

Who cannot claim a DASP?

  • Australian citizens

  • New Zealand citizens

  • Permanent Australian residents

  • Retirement visa holders

  • Investor retirement visa holders

If you are in one of the above categories, you have the right to retire in Australia, so you cannot claim a DASP. However, if you are a New Zealand citizen leaving Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand.


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Contact Us

Proactive Accountants & Bookkeepers​

Tel: 0424 513 740
Postal Address​​​​​​: P.O. Box 156

Collins St West

Melbourne Vic 8007

Socialize With Us

Proactive Lending Solutions is a Credit Representative (CRN 482161) Of BLSAA Pty LTD ACN 117651760 (Australian Credit Licence NO 391237)

© 2023 by Proactive Accountants & Bookkeepers